Paying attention to that simple but powerful part of the HVAC system-the filter-can save your system and your budget.
- A clean air filter prevents the HVAC's blower and cooling coils from being overworked. Changing the filter every two to three months helps guarantee a cool summer and toasty winter. A clean filter can also reduce allergens.
- Keeping the outdoor elements of your HVAC system as clean as possible can also extend its life. When mowing the yard, for example, don't allow grass clippings to blow into the outdoor unit.
- Clear away dried leaves and dirt on a regular basis, and avoid planting bushes or other plants too close to it. Anything that prevents a continuous flow of air around the unit makes it less efficient.
Energy Saving Tips
The following will save you precious time and money on your energy costs:
- Keep your system well maintained and tune up the equipment yearly-the better shape your system is in, the more efficiently it will run.
- Get a programmable thermostat-with this, you can save energy when you are away from home by setting the thermostat to increase or decrease temperatures as you please.
- Seal your heating and cooling ducts-the less air that escapes your home, the better!
- Make sure doors and windows are shut and properly sealed as well.
- Update old equipment with newer, more energy efficient models to lower energy costs.
- Make sure your components meet the following minimums:
- Air conditioners: SEER ratings of 13 or higher.
- Furnaces: AFUE ratings of 80 or higher.
- Heat pumps: HSPF ratings of 7 or higher.